20090402

to win you must lose

I have never been so much an ardent fan or follower of reality programs. Yes, I know I know my earlier post had something about American Idol but truth be told, I am not following it religiously. If I happen to catch on the idiot box, I will watch until the hubby comes home & asks "Why are you watching this?" then proceeds to switch to the Golf Channel.

But I do like watching make-over programs like While You Were Out, Cover Shot, Restaurant Makeover, Style by Jury & most recently The Biggest Loser and even Downsize Me. The hubby thinks I am sick to watch obscenely obese people torturing themselves to lose a few pounds (okay make that many many not a few).

I am not mental up there but what gets me is their sheer determination & will-power to undergo a daily training regime with trainers from hell. It is indeed easier if you are on the other end shouting "You can do this" rather than the person who is huffing & puffing away on the treadmill or the stairmaster.

Most of these participants are jolted into reality either with the death of a close one, or simply the ability to be mobile. Many of us sometimes fail to realise that we need to love ourselves, take care of ourselves before we can do others.

In the end the winner is not the person who brings home the grand prize. It is all of them, who realised that they needed to do something, took the first step to make that change & all for no one but themselves.

No comments: