20090617

too close for comfort??

What crosses your mind when you see couples (of the opposite sex, might I add) all lovey-dovey? Walking hand in hand, huggy huggy kissy kissy, guy carries girl's bag (okay, this I always wanted to know why)...

The hubby and I have never been the kind who is into PDA. Yes we ocassionally hold hands (to cross the street), hug (when I am feeling cold) or a quick peck or a kiss (when going our separate ways) but on the norm, we are the average married couple who goes about minding their own business.

But we are together most of the time. We go about doing our errands together when time permits, send the daughter to school in the morning together, have breakfast, read the papers and other mind numbing stuff. We eat, we laugh, we talk...

Some friends have told us that we are an ideal couple, loving and understanding each other. But they have rarely seen us display our affection for each other in the open. Some friends envy us and want to have what we have.

A friend of mine commented that we are indeed very close. But wonders out loud if its good that we are so close. She thinks I spoil my hubby and the daughter, 'cos sometimes they are quite dependent on me.

Some people (girl at used bags shop, girl at Fendi, girl at Chloe) have commented on how lucky I am to have the hubby. He follows me shopping, sits quietly while I fuss and decide on what I like and what I want (not necessarily the same thing). He gives his two cents worth and when I have decided to buy something, dutifully pays for it. And in the process, laugh and bitch about things here and there (the hubby and I, not the salespeople and I). And I reciprocate except for the paying part though there have been ocassions that I go through the process whole.

But all in all, we enjoy each other's company. We are not only matrimonial partners but the other's friend. We respect each other's space and authority. We are not afraid to tell the other off when it matters. We talk, we laugh, we listen. We have our ocassional tiffs but who doesn't? We know how one feels about the other without having to say it. We know what matters most to us. Trust and honesty is part of us.

Yes, I am indeed lucky....

No comments: