20100428

i'm not old just matured

"Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter"
Mark Twain

I've never been one to be too sensitive when asked about my age. Why get all touchy feely when one asks how old you are. I am not ashamed to admit my true age, not adding or subtracting a few years here and there...

I know someone who is eternally 39 since five years ago though I must say he looks pretty darn good for a person nearing 50. And they say women are vain!!

So anyways, I have passed the hill... And what's that they say that 40 is the new 20. Let's rewind back to the conversation that some friend commented that I'm high maintenance. This is how it came about. See, a couple of ex-schoolmates who just can't get enough of each other (beats me why they are so fond of each other) decide to meet. A dinner gathering some weeks back managed to garner a handful & they thought due to popular demand, they'd do another. So okay fine, I call this guy up - let's just call him Hamsap (hmsp for short) & we were chatting.

Then he mentions that he actually caught up with a couple of ex-classmates during the recent Chinese New Year gathering. And he mentioned that some ladies (who were quite a looker back in the days) looking like an 'Ah Sam' (frumpy aunty) now. He says he doesn't understand why they don't bother to take care of themselves.

So I told him, well some women are born with the ability to age gracefully. And somehow I am lucky to have been given that advantage by my Creator. I'm not blowing my own trumpet here but I look way better now than 20 years ago. That's when I got tagged 'high maintenance' or somewhere between that.

I mean, given a choice between a 20 year old PYT and a 40 year old woman, any sane virile man would want to go for the young PYT, no? Bergetah, they say...Unless the older woman looks like JLo or Jennifer Aniston lah...But think about it, compare a 20 year old PYT & a 40 year old woman. The former is probably just getting out of college, or starting a new job, financially... well just starting while the latter is already drawing a steady income & not that clingy. Well, I've yet to meet a whiny clingy mature woman...

Would I want to go back to being a 20 year old lady if I could turn back time? Thanks but I'll pass. I'm pretty pleased with how I turned out to be. So I may not be on the Forbes 500 or 5000 list. But I've not got my knickers in a bunch 'cos of that. I'm not the CEO of where I work but I'm happy doing what I'm doing. I may not drive a Maserati (although I wish I was) but all the same my ride gets me from Point A to B albeit much much much slower. I have a great husband who loves me & a wonderful daughter who makes me proud. I may not have buns of steel or sculpted abs or toned arms & legs but I'm still XS when I shop for my clothes (well in some shops more than others) and most importantly healthy.

So, what do I think of 40 being the new 20? Thanks but no thanks, I'll take 41 for now, thank you....

How 'bout you???

No comments: