20100414

everything happens overnight (or over many nights)

The company I am attached to is in the process of acquiring yet another subsidiary (and the organization chart just gets longer horizontally) & bam!! the big kahuna tell me 'PJ, the signing ceremony is ...'

What? That's like less than a week. The heavens were looking down on me favorably, so now it's scheduled to happen next Monday. Fine, book the venue; draw up the guest list; design the invite; send out invitations; menu for lunch; RSVP, photographer, emcee. Kow tim lah, easy peasy. I send him a BB message proposing someone to be the emcee. Then he tells me "I prefer you to be the MC". One knee weak.... What the hell do I know about emceeing?

A few messages later, this comes in from him "Need to do press release". I reply "NT?" (NT is one of the director who does all the communications part). Big kahuna replies "Can you do?". Am I allowed to say no? So I answer in a politically correct way "I'll try (need a friends help)". He pats me virtually and says "Good girl."

The shit I get myself into!!! Never learned how to keep my big mouth shut & never will I suppose. So Bee immediately comes to mind. She's a pro at this. She agrees to help. Bless her, me lurves her so. But she also takes the rightful opportunity to remind me that I am so screwed.

He is either overly confident of my abilities to become someone I am not overnight or utterly crazy. In my opinion, he's more the latter than the former. To which he responded with a guffaw.

Now excuse me, while I wax lyrical about the oil & gas industry, mechanical & engineering services, 2009 economic recovery & 2010 global economy. I sound like an alien, even to me.


No comments: