20090702

please don't confuse me, it's hurting my brains

In the midst of planning and organizing an annual do for the company where I am attached at now. Why do I always get stuck with things like this?? Sigh....

So anyways, one of the most enviable task is of course writing to our suppliers / business associates to implore their generosity, short of saying give me all your money or a 60" plasma HD tv. So I am cracking this fragile brain of mine on how to be polite, solicititious in hope that my letter would get them whipping out their checkbooks, Mont Blanc pens and signing off a contribution with many many many zeroes in the figure (just before the decimal point mind you).

Gives the draft to triceratops. She looks it through. "You know it shouldn't be so powderful. The suppliers may not be able to understand your letter." (yes, exact word - powderful)

I'm blinking in confusion....A while later, she goes on to add "I'm not impressed with this letter."

Still in confusion. So she arranges to get a copy of the letter sent to suppliers asking them for moolah when were doing the same thing six years back (apparently that one packed a punch). It went something like this...

The XX Group celebrates its 14th anniversary on (date).

This celebration party will be attended by all our colleagues from blabber blabber blabber with the Directors and members of the Management Team.

We seek your benevolent contribution either in kind or cash to enhance the excitement of the evening. Please revert your contribution by (date).

We have enjoyed working with you and look forward to many more years to come.

I've read this thing like a gazillion times and somehow can't seem to put my finger on the punch. Her reaction when she saw this letter? "Ah? You mean our letter so simple ah like this? I thought it was much more than that..."

Come to think of it, no wonder the prizes that time was crappy....

Now where can I put my soon to be won 60" plasma HD tv????

No comments: