20090706

of busybodies and itchy backsides...

The deejays on the radio station this morning brought up a subject that was kinda interesting. One of their colleagues ripped open one of the guy's pay-slip and took a peek. So he was in a dilemma on what to do. Report her and she might lose her job. But he couldn't possibly keep quiet and condone to this.

This happened to me once, in my previous employment. See I had my drawers where I kept my personal stuff in my second drawer & work related stuff in the last. I don't normally lock it every time I have to leave my desk as I expect others to respect my privacy as I do theirs. And for all my life I have worked, I never encountered any busybodies rummaging through my stuff.

But I guess there's always a first time for everything. So, one day I'm away from my desk and seems during my absence, a colleague (a senior manager) came by my station looking for something. Seeing that I was not there, she took the liberty to open my drawers. She came across my payslip and thought it would do no harm to take a peek.

Unlucky for her, my roomie caught her in the act. So when I come back, roomie tells me what happened. I pick up the phone, called the SM and confronted her. Of course, there was an heated exchange of words. I told her the next time something goes missing in my drawer or anyone's for that matter, I would search her first cos she would be the only one who is idiotic enough to go through other people's personal stuff.

Reliable sources then told me that when she hung up, she threw a tantrum and was furious that I questioned her authority as SM. She then stomped her way to her boss who was also my boss and created a big fuss about what happened. Well I expected her to behave this way and I just went about doing my work as usual. Five minutes after she struts out of the bosses office, he buzzes me in. I went in sat down, looked him in the eye and went "Ya?"

He told me what happened and that she went crying to him yada yada yada. So I asked him where is her sense of confidentiality & integrity that is so essential in her capacity as a SM & more importantly, crucial in her line of work. Needless to say he couldn't answer me or justify her actions. I told her (earlier) and then him, that just because she is an SM (or I couldn't care less if she was the president of the company) it doesn't give her an effing right to go through my personal stuff. If it was work related documents, the least she could do was call me on my mobile or have the audacity to wait till I got back to my work-station.

He let it at that and told her that if she had any issues, she would have to work them out with me. I don't remember if she apologized but I doubt she did but suffice to say, as much as I wasn't popular back them I scored bitch points big time. SCORE!!!

2 comments:

catbee said...

...and that's all u hv in ur drawer?? sigh!
thought got dildos all ;p

plain jane said...

yang tu I know ada in your drawer la....